• Home
  • Instrumentation and gaz analysis for chemical

Instrumentation and gaz analysis for chemical

< return to the range

In the chemical and petrochemical industry, flowpressure, temperature measurements and gas analysis are a top priority for efficient energy management, process reliability and reduced gas emissions. Choosing reliable measurement equipment is essential to ensure the service life of installations and to optimise the various technological processes used in refineriesethylene, CVMbutadiene rubber and ammonia production plants.


Measuring instruments and gas analyzers for the chemical and petrochemical industry

Fuji Electric measuring instruments support professionals in the chemical and petrochemical industry during each phase of their manufacturing process in order to:

  • Lower the production costs
  • Increase yields
  • Extend the service life of installations
  • Guarantee the quality of the finished product


Chemical and petrochemical processes

Oil refining (naphtha crude oil)     →     Manufacture of petrochemicals     →     Manufacture of chemicals (derivatives)


Chemical and petrochemical processes

Measurement and analysis instruments adapted to the chemical and petrochemical process:


Petroleum refining is the industrial process by which crude oil is refined into fuel oil and various petrochemicals. An oil refinery consists of facilities that manufacture products from raw materials and utilities. Crude oil heated to 350 ° C in a heating furnace is blown into a distillation tower up to 50 meters high, where the oil is separated into fractions such as naphtha, kerosene, light fuel oil, fuel A, depending on their boiling point.

Ethylene plant

An ethylene plant is the facility where hydrocarbons are cracked and separated from naphtha or other raw materials to produce primary petrochemicals. Repeated distillation of refined petroleum or gas produces ethylene, propylene and other miscellaneous petrochemicals. The production capacity of the entire plant (or industrial complex) is determined by that of the ethylene plant, since ethylene is the raw material for the following processes to produce derivatives.

CVM production

Monomeric vinyl chloride (CVM) is mainly used for the production (by polymerization) of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). CVM is organic gas, colorless at room temperature. It is a very volatile compound and poorly soluble in water.

There are two methods of producing CVM:

  • Direct chlorination
  • And oxychlorination.

Both of these methods are used in most CVM plants. Both processes use dichloroethane (DCE) to produce CVM. In direct chlorination, DCE is generated by the reaction of chlorine with the catalyst, while in the oxychlorination method, it is generated by the reaction of hydrogen chloride and ethylene in the presence of the catalyst and air (O2).


CVM production

Measurement and analysis instruments adapted to CVM production:

Production of butadiene rubber

Butadiene is a synthetic rubber widely produced and used due to its high abrasion resistance. It is mixed with other rubbers, processed with roller mills or extruders, and vulcanized into elastic rubber. It is then used for the production of tires, belts, shoes and tubes. In North America, Europe and Japan, butadiene is obtained as a by-product by catalytic cracking of ethylene or other olefins.

Applications: production of car tires, shoes, belts, fire hoses, toys, molded rubber articles, sponge and foam products, waterproof materials, belt, adhesives.


Production of butadiene rubber

Measurement and analysis instruments adapted to butadiene rubber production:

Ammonia production

Ammonia is the most widely produced chemical compound in the world. About 80% of ammonia is used in the production of agricultural fertilizers. The remaining 20% ​​is used for the production of synthetic fibers (nylon, rayon). Ammonia is produced by the Habber-Bosch process: atmospheric nitrogen reacts with hydrogen to form ammonia.

Hydrogen can be produced in several ways, but it is usually obtained by cracking natural gas (methane) or petroleum naphtha. Hydrogen is also recovered from recycled plastic (chemical recycling).


Ammonia production

Measurement and analysis instruments adapted to ammonia production:

Instrumentation and gaz analysis for chemical documentation